San Juan

san-juan-countyMost Counties in Washington State have their own programs for supporting veterans. This week we look at San Juan County.

The San Juan County Veterans Assistance Fund provides emergency services to indigent veterans, their dependents, widows, widowers, and/or orphans. The Veterans Advisory Board provides timely service to eligible individuals when assistance from other agencies is considered inappropriate or time requirements are constrained. The intent of the SJC VAF is not to replace assistance from any other agency, and assistance is granted on a “case by case” basis only. Eligible individuals may receive assistance for the following:

  • Food
  • Rent or Mortgage Payments
  • Utilities
  • Medical and Dental
  • Burial or Cremation

The VAB may also make referrals to other agencies; interview applicants in person or by telephone; provide basic counseling or job counseling; act as a liaison with landlords, utility companies, etc; establishing and maintaining a good rapport with vendors who accept vouchers from the VAF; cooperate with federal, state, county, and city officials in regards to veterans assistance to assure proper operation of the VAF as established by the VAB and SJC government.

To apply for assistance, print out and fill out the Veterans’ Assistance Form, and then Send completed form with supporting documents to your local VAB representative; or mail to County Council, 350 Court St. Friday Harbor; WA 98250, or email to

For More help and information, see their web pages.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *