mason-countyMost Counties in Washington State have programs for supporting veterans. This week we look at Mason County.

Mason County’s Veterans’ Assistance Fund helps eligible indigent and suffering veterans or family members with certain expenses. The Veterans’ Advisory Board oversees the Fund.


  • Honorably discharged veteran or eligible family member of a veteran who meets the definition of veteran as defined by law.
  • “Indigent and suffering”: under the current poverty level as defined by the United States Department of Health and Human Services.
  • Resident of the Mason County for at least ninety (90) days.
  • Applicant must present proof of residency and income.

How to Apply: 

  • Telephone a Veterans’ Service Officer to schedule an eligibility appointment and find out what documents to bring.
    • Shelton: Memorial Hall, 210 West Franklin Street. Phone: 360-426-4546 Business hours are Monday – Wednesday 9 AM to 12 PM and 1 PM to 4 PM or by appointment.
    • Belfair: North Mason County Resource, 140 NE SR 300. Phone: 360-552-2302. Business hours are Monday – Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; On Wednesdays, the office is open until 6:30 p.m.


  • Disbursed to indigent veterans and their families or the families of those deceased not to exceed $800 per applicant per calendar year, not to exceed two years, unless the indigent veteran qualifies for additional funds.
  • After one year of waiting, the veteran may reapply for further assistance with proof of eligibility. (Exceptions: burial and catastrophic expenses)
  • Assistance shall be granted only for the following:
    • Past Due Rent or Mortgage
    • Past Due Utilities; electric, water or Natural Gas
    • Needed Food Items
    • Needed Fire Wood or Propane.

See Also:  Veterans’ Case Management Contract for Mental Health and Chemical Dependency 
Mason County Sales and Use Tax for Mental Health and Substance Abuse services funds a contract with Mental Health Professionals, LLC. The Veterans’ Case Manager is Leon Huggins-Richard who works with veterans and their family members/dependents who are experiencing difficulties. Leon works to assist the veteran with family stability, well-being, education/training, financial management, and employment/career management issues. This service is free to eligible clients. Please call (360) 451-0900 to set up an appointment with Leon.Are you in a different county? See the county-by-county map of veterans services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *